Making A Difference With Your Donation
Expanding the community of supporters and donors is integral to the CVFB to meet program goals, address the ongoing challenge of rising food costs, and serve the needs of increasing numbers of people accessing the program. Monetary donations make it feasible for us to secure the best price point for purchasing bulk and case lots of items for our food hampers.
As we are a registered charity, cash donations qualify for an income-tax credit. To encourage donations, the federal and provincial governments provide a two-tiered credit system with amounts over $200 qualifying for credit at the highest tax rate. Are you a Corporation, or part of a company that would like to set up a sponsorship? We would love to speak with you, please contact us.
How To Make A Monetary Donation
Financial donations are gratefully received and assist us in purchasing in bulk those items which are considered luxuries: peanut butter, soap, tea, coffee, sugar, jams, condiments, and laundry products. Donors are issued a tax receipt.
To Make a Donation:
- Donate online at canadahelps.org. Set up a one time donation or a monthly donation, and be issued a tax credit immediately.
- Donate cash by adding it to one of 35 Comox Valley Food Bank donation jars at local businesses
- Donate via cheque and cash in person at #1 – 1491 McPhee Ave, Courtenay between Monday – Friday: 9:30 am to 12:00 pm
- Send donation by mail (although we do not advise mailing cash)
Mail in donations can be sent to:
Comox Valley Food Bank
PO Box 3028
How to Donate Food Items
It is a misconception that the Food Bank will only accept non-perishable items. We will gladly take fresh produce, as part of our initiative to ensure every person has access to fresh and healthy foods. Here’s how you can help ensure more residents have access to food:
1. Drop off food items directly to the Food Bank, Monday to Friday, between 9:30 am and 12:00 pm. If you would like to schedule a donation pick up/drop off, please call (250) 338-0615 or email email@example.com.
2. Host a food drive or Special Fundraising Event. The CVFB strives to meet all requests for after hours pick ups/drop offs in conjunction with Special Fundraising Events and Food Drives. Please contact us with your event details.
3. “Grow a Row” or share your harvest and deliver the fresh produce to the Food Bank. The “Grow a Row” program encourages Comox Valley residents to consider the CVFB when they are planning, planting or harvesting their garden. Did you grow extra zucchini, kale or tomatoes and can’t use them all? The Comox Valley Food Bank would love to take your fresh produce. “Grow a Row” helps increase fresh food donations to the Food Bank so that all Comox Valley residents, regardless of income, have access to fresh food. Please drop off items directly to the Food Bank, Monday to Friday, between 9:30 am and 12:00 pm.
4. Donate non-perishable food items to a donation bin at your local grocery store. Just add a few extra canned or boxed items to your grocery list and drop them in the donation bin on your way out. Because these donation bins are picked up once a week, we ask that any fresh food donations be dropped off directly to the Food Bank Monday to Friday, between 9:30 am and 12:00 pm.
Our Most Needed Food Donations Are:
Fruits and Vegetables, Cheeses, Eggs, Yogurt, Nuts/Seeds, Nut Butters, Dried Beans, Rice, Pasta, Gluten-Free items.
Beans, Fish, Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Pasta Sauces.
Nutritional Snacks for Children’s Lunches, Sugar-Free Juices, Milk Alternatives, Toiletries, Diapers, Paper Products, Frozen Foods.
How to Donate Your Cans and Bottles
The Comox Valley Food Bank has an account with the Courtenay Return-it Depot on Puntledge Road in Courtenay. Bring your recyclable cans and bottles to the Courtenay Return-it Depot and inform the staff you would like to donate the proceeds to the Comox Valley Food Bank.
How to Donate Your Plastic Bags
The Comox Valley Food Bank is now accepting recyclable, clean, grocery sized, plastic bags that are in good condition for distributing food. Please drop off directly to the Food Bank Monday to Friday, between 9:30 am and 12:00 pm.